Looking at the title, some may be confused that “Are we going to talk about the dessert called “Cookies”? The answer is no. Every interesting thing we will talk about is directly all-around “Website” things which are suitable for those who plan to have their website or questions about the safety of personal information.
Have you ever wondered why sometimes a website is likely to remember your password and ID? or when you get into the online shop, select keeping your orders in the basket and come out the website without payment but later coming back to the online shop again, we found that the selected orders are still unchanged? What does that mean? Have you ever been curious about that? This is what we called a Cookie. There are many kinds of Cookie which can be categorized as follows:
- In the first process, a Cookie will remember your password when you save the password on a website. That means you don’t need to insert the password again when you revisit the website.
- A Cookie can remember a website you have visited and you can see you using websites from the menu “History” from that browsers.
- A Cookie can keep the information about your order in the basket on E-commerce websites.
- A Cookie shows advertisements based on your web surfing behavior.
- A Cookie can check the user accessing information
Starting from the past year, we often heard the news about personal data protection, as known as PDPA in Thailand, and GDPR in foreign countries. Unfortunately, in Thailand, PDPA still showed no sign of when it will become effective. Many entrepreneurs or website providers usually inform their users that they will collect some information for user experience improvement. You can choose to accept the request or not. However, on some websites, you might not be able to access it without your permission. All in all, the way website providers uses for information collection is using Cookie which can be used for improving their services and analyzing business information in the future.
In this article…
- The Advantages of Cookies
- The Disadvantages of Cookies
- The Type of Cookies
- Final Thoughts
The Advantages of Cookies
When mentioning Cookie, most service providers have their right in getting into user information such as your user behavior. That means your information will be collected and analyzed for the system development and usability pattern of that website, which can be utilized and answer users’ expectations. The advantages of Cookie consist of:
- Cookies will remember when you visit a website and will show some advertisement from any platforms which that ad will relate to you only.
- Cookies will save your username and password when you log in. You can log in again without typing your username or password again. *In some browsers, users may find the notification about remembering username and password before. If you choose “yes”, the cookies will immediately remember you.
- Cookies can remember your website use behavior so when you often search any information on search engine. The search list will show you your frequently visited websites.
The Disadvantages of Cookies
On the other hand, there are some downsides of Cookies and you have to carefully consider when you give website providers your permission.
- Exactly, there are some third parties or another website that can access your personal information. So, before confirming any permission, you should thoroughly read the policy and agreement. especially financial transactions on websites because if there is an error, you don’t have to fix it later.
- Sometimes you may feel like you are lack privacy when using websites.
- If you don’t know where to delete the cookies, it will become a difficult task for you to stop some ads or viruses from third parties when they keep spamming to your browser. They can create inconvenience for you.
- The most dangerous thing is some viruses that fake themselves as Cookies and deceive you to accept their access permission. In this case, you need to be more cautious when accepting Cookies on websites.
The most important thing is understanding how Cookies work and how you can control your privacy on the internet without any complicated technique. Let’s find out what cookies are, how many types they are, and how they work.
The Cookie process consists of 5 stages
- You visit a website.
- Web servers send a short message to your browser.
- Web servers save the message in form of “cookie.txt”.
- You click another page of the website such as the product page.
- Web servers send a message back to the web browser that which page you are at.
The Type of Cookies
The main type of Cookies used on the website consists of
- Session cookies
- Persistent cookies
- Third-party cookies
- First-party cookies
- Marketing cookies
- Performance and analytical cookies
Let’s see what the meaning of each Cookie is and how they work.
1. Session cookies
Session cookies will work only when you open a website and disappear when you close. There is no data recording on your computer. There are some examples of how session cookies work…
- When you use the shopping cart on the website in E-commerce websites.
- When you want to use the same information on websites such as logging in.
2. Persistent Cookies
Persistent cookies have few differences from other cookies. These cookies will exist on your computer when you close the browser. They are designed for saving your customization in a period like the detail when logging in or your wish list when you visit an online shop.
3. Third-party Cookies
This kind of cookie may not receive popularity nowadays. It allows third parties to access and advertise to website audiences. To say, when you click ads on one website and are going to open another website, you will receive cookies from the previous website too.
4. First-party cookies
First-party cookies will improve the overall operation of the website and the website providers will be the ones who create first-party cookies. This type of cookies will not disappear after the session finishes like session cookies but they will be kept on your computer. Therefore, the next time you access the website, this is the reason why you do not need to log in to the website again.
Marketing cookies work as third-party cookies which mainly focuses on advertisement for you. It can improve your experience when you surf the internet.
6. Performance and analytical cookies
These cookies can help your company or the website owners evaluate their performance and overall usability of the target audiences such as the duration of visiting websites or the focal point of the website.
We hope this article will shed light on Cookies for you. Read more blogs about marketing here at Yes Web Design Studio.
For more information:
Facebook : yeswebdesignstudio
Instagram : yeswebdesign_bkk
Twitter : yeswebdesignbkk